About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Bred, raised, educated and life long Floridian, and proud of it. E-mail at one(dot)legged(dot)old(dot)fat(dot)man(at)gmail(dot)com

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

In the Sunshine State on this day in 1565 [In today’s account, Pedro Menendez recounts the capture and execution of Frenchmen who had not been present at Fort Caroline in a letter to the Spanish king, Philip II.  When approached by the group of soldiers about the possibility of arranging a truce so that they could return to Fort Caroline, Menendez was not amenable to their request.
“...I then told him  how we had taken their Fort and hanged all those we found in it, because they had built it without Your Majesty’s permission and because they were scattering the odious Lutheran doctrine in these Provinces, and that I had [to make] war [with] fire and blood, as Governor and Captain-General of these Provinces, against all those who came to sow this hateful doctrine; representing to him that I came by order of Your Majesty to place the Gospel in these parts and to enlighten the natives...[t]hat I would not give them passage; rather would I follow them by sea and land until I had taken their lives.  He begged to be allowed to go with this embassy and that he would return at night swimming, if I would grant him his life.  I did so to show him that I was in earnest and because he would enlighten me on many subjects.  Immediately after his return to his companions there came a gentleman, a lieutenant of Monsieur Laudonnier, a man well versed and cunning to tempt me.  After much talk he offered to give up their arms if I would grant their lives.  I told him he could surrender the arms and give themselves up to my mercy, that I might do with them that which our Lord ordered.  More than this he could not get from me, and that God did not expect more of me. Thus he returned and they came to deliver up their arms.  I had their hands tied behind them and had them stabbed to death, leaving only sixteen, twelve being great big men, mariners whom they had stolen, the other four master carpenters and caulkers---people for whom we have much need, and it seemed to me to punish them in this manner would serving God, our Lord, and Your Majesty....”
In 1877 Sanford, the site of a U.S. Army garrison in 1836, was  incorporated as a city.

In 1893 The town of Mayo was incorporated by the Florida Legislature.

In 1922 The town of Riviera Beach was incorporated.

In 1942 Today is the birthday of United States Senator, C. William “Bill” Nelson.  Nelson was born in Miami and graduated from Yale University in 1965.  He also graduated from the University of Virginia Law School in 1968.  During the Viet Nam War, he served as a captain in the United States Army.  In addition, Nelson served several terms as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.  During his congressional service, Nelson was a strong proponent of  the American Space Program.  He became the first member of Congress to journey into space aboard a shuttle.

In 1953 The body of Governor Dan McCarty was placed in the rotunda of the State Capitol to afford state officers, state employees, and the general public an opportunity to pay their final respects.

No comments: